Tips For Moving
Moving home may seem like a daunting task, especially if you have lived in the same house for many years. With some planning and organising the transition can be a smooth one and not stressful. Here are some tips to consider.
Start Early and be Organised
- Book in a removalist, to get the required day and time you will need to book.
- Create a moving kit, including packing tape and dispenser, marking pens, labels, scissors, retractable cutting knife, bubble wrap and newspaper.
- Boxes in various sizes, available from Moving Companies, Bunnings or local Facebook groups.
- Checklist to change addresses, including Insurance and Utilities.
- Reduce stock in the pantry and fridge, avoid large grocery shopping in the weeks leading to moving.
Donate and Sell Unwanted Items
- Moving home is the best time to reduce clutter, simplify and downsize.
- Consider some ways to get rid of unwanted items, a garage sale, local Facebook groups or donate to local charities.
- Do what you can in advance room by room.
- Label each box, on label write the room it belongs to, list the contents on the top and side of the box. Labels on the side of a box allow for easy identification when stacked. Mark as fragile when required.
- Don’t make boxes too heavy. Place heavy items in the bottom of the box and fill with cushions and pillows.
- Use empty suitcases that have wheels to pack heavy items like books.
- Loose screws and clips place in zip lock bag and tape to the item they belong to.
Day of Move
- Prepack some lunch and have a dinner meal prepared.
- Pack each person an overnight bag to include toiletries, pyjamas and a change of clothes.
- Empty fridge contents into esky ready with ice bricks. Wipe out the fridge while empty.
- Have some cleaning equipment on hand eg. broom, dust pan and brush, bucket, cleaning clothes and products.
- Pets can find moving stressful and get in the way. Leave them with family or friends for the day.